This is my attempt at blogging. I'm still learning about the blogging world, and this is my own personal study hall.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Slate Magazine - Let the Rabbi Split the Pie

I just think this article is fascinating. I remember when I learned Masecheth Sukkah in about 8th grade, and we discovered a reference to pi in the Talmudic literature. Seriously, people actually think that we understand the world better today than the ancients? Maybe some things. Maybe like certain big picture things and some subtle nuances, but the fundamentals were there, and I truly believe that the understanding that at least the intelectual class of the ancient world had, probably was on par with, if it didn't even surpass, the general understanding of the world that today's intelectual class has. I mean, think about it - how many of today's principles are ENTIRELY dependent on discoveries in the ancient world? Yes, the Middle Ages were a dark, dark time for Europe and for scientific advancement in general. But even then, other cultures were thriving and making discoveries that we still depend upon today. But there is no question that the ancient world had its share of individuals who had the brains and the platform to discover and spread knowledge that even today we are still trying to prove and/or use for other purposes.

read more | digg story

1 Comments:

Blogger Isaac Moses said...

The Prof. Aumann in the story is the one who won the Nobel Prize for Economics in the past few years.

2:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home