This is my attempt at blogging. I'm still learning about the blogging world, and this is my own personal study hall.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Early Shabbath

In our building there is (or there has been since around Rosh HaShannah) a nightly Minyan for Ma'ariv, as well as a weekly Friday night Minyan. Since the start of daylight savings time, however, it has grown increasingly difficult to keep up the nightly Minyan, and the Friday night Minyan has been going through tremendous debate over whether to hold it early or late, the early time generally being quite a bit after Plag (this week it would be 12 minutes after, if it happens at all). For that reason, I decided to look up the rules to bring in Shabbath early by doing a Google search for "Plag Mincha" (I know I broke my own rule regarding transliterating Hebrew, but it's the way everyone else typically spells the word).

I found this article, which I hope will be useful to others reading my blog:

http://www.ou.org/torah/tt/5765/behar65/early.htm

Have a Shabbath Shalom.

Seth

6 Comments:

Blogger Menachem said...

you actually broke your own rule back on your pesach post, when you wrote "Heder Ochel."

to be honset, i find your departure from standard transliteration techniques ('ch' for chet, and the hell with it!) pretentious and distracting.

3:45 PM

 
Blogger Seth said...

I just wanted to note that "Ochel" is spelled with a Chaf, not a Het.

10:48 PM

 
Blogger Menachem said...

so, H is only for hets? and a chaf can be written with a 'ch?' is this official ben-yehuda transliteration? i notice that you, like him, also do the q-for-quf substitution. i went throuhg your other posts, and it seems you have been consistent. for now. but i'll be watching you... ready to pounce...

7:41 AM

 
Blogger Just Shu said...

I just ignore the annoying H and read it however I want

1:40 PM

 
Blogger Menachem said...

i like your google search bar accross the top. very unobtrusive.

7:36 PM

 
Blogger Menachem said...

now your site looks like a baseball card.

'93 donruss, i believe, though it could be late 80's fleer.

11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home